Guardianship & Conservatorship
Michigan’s guardianship and conservatorship laws, created by the Estates & Protected Individuals Code (EPIC) and Mental Health Code, are designed to protect people who cannot manage their personal affairs due to age, illness, or disability.
We regularly help clients with guardianship and conservatorship proceedings, including:
- Establishing a guardianship or conservatorship
- Changes of guardians and conservators
- Disputes regarding appointments
- Fiduciary accountings
- Special needs and long-term care planning for protected individuals.
We serve clients involved in nearly every aspect of probate protective proceedings, including:
- Petitioners (people requesting the appointment of a guardian or conservator)
- Respondents (proposed protected persons)
- Interested persons (certain people involved in a protected person’s life, who are given the right to participate in probate proceedings)